Total Pageviews

Monday, August 31, 2009

Alaska Margot Creek & Coho Bend

Sunrise @ Naknek River Camp
A beauitful start to an amazing day



We had a beautiful Alaskan sunrise,after a hearty Naknek River Camp
breakfast,Greg,Dave,John,Craig,Randy,Joe & myself loaded up the boat
with guides James & John,for the 1 hour boat ride to Margot Creek.
The boat was full of fishing chatter,as we waited with anticipation,
as we where well aware what awaited us @ Margot Creek.............
Artic Char,Alaskan Bows,Sockeye Salmon and "The Griz"
As it turned out our only compatition for the day was "The Griz",
as we encountered a good #,on our 3 mile hike up & back down Margot.
The Griz was there for the Sockeye,but we where more intrested in
the Big Rainbows & Dolly Varden/Artic Char that take up residence
in Margot for the Sockeye Egg drop.
We fished 6mm Beads to "Match the Hatch"so to say of the Sockeye
egg drop.Those poor Sockeye......evrey body hunting them in one
way or another,The Griz wanted to eat them,and the Char & Rainbows
where feasting on there eggs,and we sure did'nt mind catching a few
either.I hope to return to "The Bowling Alley Run" on Margot Creek
soon,though I never asked James why the call that run,The Bowling Alley,
I just gotta use my imagination,rolling 6mm beads(bowling balls)down the
run( The Bowling Lane)cathing fish(knocking down pins) ?

A special thanks to Phyllis,Jim & all the Staff @ Naknek River Camp !
For the wonderful time,fishing,accomadations & meals !

My Margot Creek "Bowling Alley" Artic Char




The Boat Ride to Margot Creek




Craig with a Margot Dolly




Another Close Encounter with the Griz




Lined up on Margot's "Bowling Alley Run"for Dolly Varden




Mr Brown Bear was fishin Margot too !




A pod of Reds in Margot




We where not alone on Margot Creek




John with a Margot Red




Joe with a good Margot Dolly Varden




Margot Sockeye




Walking out of Margot Creek,Mr Griz,looking to fish




The day after our Margot Creek adventure,we went chasing Silver's
and found them late afternoon @ Coho Bend.Our Guide Miles,
spotted a pod of Silvers,and we landed the boat below them,and
walked up-river to fish for them. Miles had suggested I try using
a Zip-Line,for them so I borrowed his rig and went on the hunt.
I had never fished a Zip-Line,but found it to be a very effective
way to fish the bigger waters of the Naknek.Thanks for the tip &
coaching, Miles !
The next morning Dave,Joe & myself,where assigned Jacob as our guide
for the day,and we headed back to Coho Bend,for Silvers.We motored
down the river and Jacob spotted our quarry,and to our delight there
where more fish there than the end of the previous day.
Again we landed below the pod,and walked upstream to begin fishing.
Dave & Joe,hurried upstream,but i laged behind to have Jacob set me
up to run a Zip-line on my own gear.I was hooked on Zipping from the
previous day,purchased a Zip Line,took a sinking line off an extra
spoll,and asked Jacob to set me up,and I would not bother him the rest
of the day........sorry Jacob,you still had to net the fish.....LOL ! !
We had a bluebird day,so fishing becane a little slow,at first,but
heated up quickly as the fish turend on,or we found the right offering.
My best luck on this bluebird day was a Coho Blue pattern # 8,but Black
Olive & Purple Ice Buggers,size # 8,where also very effictive.
By mid afternoon,Miles who had Randy & Craig with him,pulled in to fish
with us,as fresh Silvers had been moving in all day,we gladly shared the
Coho Bend waters with them..........there was simply to much water & to
many fish for Dave,Joe & myself to cover.We had many multiple hook ups,
talk about Coho's gone wild ! This was it ! Dave & I did the Coho Dance,
as we where both hooked up at the same time more than once,Dave graciously
let me slide underneath him 2 times as we fought and landed fish.


My Coho Blue Sparse Hair Wing pattern,Struck Silver
a few times on this Bluebird day @ Coho Bend




Fresh Silver @ Coho Bend




Guide Jacob & me @ Coho Bend



Guide Miles with a Coho Bend,HoHoe




Coho Bend on the Naknek

No comments:

Post a Comment